Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Secrets

Whenever someone asks me, 'Can I tell you something, that's a secret?' the first thought that pops into my head is, 'Of course, I can, after all, I am an SAI.' HAHA. How silly, but the true importance of trust and secrecy was taught to me in my years as an SAI. Today a wonderful man at work shared a very heartwarming story with me, that I dare not share with you guys... sorry. Just know, wisdom comes in so many forms and ways, and God blesses even in the break room.

I have probably mentioned many times before that my favorite verses of the Bible are contained in Matthew 6 & 7. These first few verses are very special to me. 

Matthew 6:1-8

 1"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. 2"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3"But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8"So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.


In a world where we are taught to 'toot' our own horn and constantly beg for attention, it is difficult for most just to worry about their own lives and things that should be kept secret. I mean honestly, think of Facebook, people put all kinds of pictures, statuses and information out onto the web that normally wouldn't be, or shouldn't be, broadcast to the world.

I have also heard the term so many times, talk the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. It is my prayer and hope that I continually walk my walk with Christ. I, being a math major, continually acknowledge that I may not have the most eloquent speech or writing skills. Being a daughter of the King, this is perfectly ok! Praise be to Him! 

We as Christians don't need to call attention to ourselves and try to be 'holier than thou'. Growing up being known as 'the Jesus girl' it was hard for people to not try to see me as trying to be better than them with my religion. And therefore, I strive for this fact, that I am in this world, but not of it, that I am a person just like everyone else.. However, I do believe differently, behave differently, and act differently in awe and wonder of my Savior who blesses me and gives me joy everlasting. 

So my challenge for you is to find your 'secret place' in which to worship and talk with the Lord. I am so fortunate to have had this challenge a few years ago and what a wonderful blessing it has been. Take time with the Lord, just for you and God... not anyone else. Because to God, no one else matters! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!