Monday, February 21, 2011

Today I wore....

A DRESS to work. This may not seem like a big deal, but being one of two women in a department of 80 people can be pretty intimidating at times. Don't get my wrong, I love working with my men. But I have tried not to kill them with my femininity. HAH! So I started off with pants, then integrated skirts, and today, a full on dress. :)

I started off my job with one sentence as a dress code... so I have been testing the waters ever since. Neal said to me.. 'You have goals, wear what will get you there.' And that was my dress code for my first ever, full time job. So of course, this being an office job, and me being a teacher, I guickly adapted my 'teacher clothes' to fit the office atmosphere. I even went shopping with my mom and bought a 'first day of work' outfit and was super excited! Little did I know, the Senior Office Associate would end up wearing jeans and a t shirt EVERY day.

However, I write this to say, that image isn't everything. But, looking professional in the work place will definitely get you places. Remember, even though we are told not to judge, people judge outward appearance faster than we can think. Dressing up for work each day gives me confidence, and has opened many doors for me. I am the Facilities Supervisor for Strive for Five and this week I will be attending a training on managing student workers. I feel that these responsibilities are not placed on me because I dress nice, but because of my work ethic and ability. However, I do feel that I receive a lot of respect from my coworkers because I dress up.

And the final reason I dress up... to help me look less like a student. :) Yes, I am a student, but at work I want to be treated like an adult... and quite frankly I am reminded at least once a week that I don't look old enough to actually work at my job. HAHA, I know, I will appreciate that when I am older. So for all the new people that come in and the visitors, it helps me look old enough to help them... and not let them just pass me off. ;)

Most of all... it is SO fun to dress up. Mary-Anne would be proud to see me wearing heals every day. And when you are as short as I am... this is a must! It just helps a lot that I like heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!