Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lights, fires, alarms OH MY!

I came back to Tuscaloosa this week with a plan. My job search has been richly blessed by Jesus and I have already completely one interview this week and await my second. However, the week that I actually needed to come back to Tuscaloosa, I really didn't want to. I had a great time with my mom and friends this past weekend, and it was hard to leave them.

So, last night while sitting in my apartment a storm started brewing. I could hear thunder in the distance and even see flashes of lightning. As a child, and throughout the years, I have always prayed the same prayer during storms... 'Lord, please calm the storm as you calmed the seas for the frightened disciples...' As the storm became worse the lightning and thunder was so loud I jumped at each new bolt. Then, the power flickered at my apartment complex, and finally it completely went out. Then I experienced the joys of moving... I of course didn't have a flash light in my apartment, I have a candle that I brought with me, but of course, no matches. So I was left to sit in the dark. To finish getting ready for bed and take out my contacts I turned up the brightness on my computer as high as it would go. I love my mac... it is a blessing. :) So I called my mom and we chatted for a while and laughed about me not having bad weather supplies. A little over an hour later the power came back on, and I was finally able to sleep. Last night was the first night in a long time that I actually slept through the entire night. And I believe that as God calmed the storm He calmed me to give me the rest that I needed.

I woke up this morning to my mom calling to see if the power was back on, and I told her it was. I then took my sweet time getting out of bed and getting ready for the day. Then the fire alarms started going off in my building. I was confused and knew that I didn't smell any smoke. I looked around and my roommate asked me if I thought anyone had reported it, so I told her I would look outside to see if anyone was there. A girl was outside thankfully and told me that maintenance knew about the alarms. So, my roommate and I continued on our ways despite the loud beeping every few seconds. She is packing her stuff as this is her last week in the apartment. I am thankful for these alarms because they have given us the opportunity to speak to each other. I know that may seem weird, but I haven't been able to create much of a relationship with her, and I think she has somewhat wanted it that way. Well after a while the fire alarms beeped twice and then were off. THANKS be to God! The loud beeping was way worse than 29 piccolos playing in your ear!

A eventful week looks to be ahead, and it's only Tuesday. But thankfully I am going to see a friend on Thursday and go to a DCI show, Drum Corps International, which are amazing! I am excited to get to see the corps, especially since the last time I saw them was freshman year. And with that, I get to spend time with a SAI sister of mine, Haley O. She graduated last year and has been working for a newspaper in Gadsden. Since she lives so far north of Troy people rarely get to see her. So I am excited to be somewhat closer, and I am going to take the opportunity to visit with her before coming home on Friday.  Another friend of mine is getting married this weekend; I've been to a wedding almost every weekend this summer. But Jessie is having a catholic wedding, I have never been to a catholic wedding and I am very excited to see her get married and to experience something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!