Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Search.... ENDED!!!

Last week I interview with the Building Maintenance Department at the University of Alabama. I left there with confidence that I had done my best in my interview, but I was still very unsure that they would hire me. On my way home on Friday Mr. Dichiara, the supervisor who interviewed me, called me again to ask a few more questions. He then told me that they would let me know this week. So I continued on home without much hope of a job.

Monday I was called by another department for an interview, and since I hadn't heard from the other job, I scheduled it. Not but a few hours later Mr. Dichiara called me and offered me the job at Building Maintenance! Of course I was ecstatic and wanted to say yes right away, but I explained to him I had already scheduled this other interview and felt that I should go through with it. So he gave me permission to call him after my interview.

That interview was today at 9:30am. I prayed that God would help me make this decision and that His will be done and that I receive the job that I was meant to have. I had the hardest time getting to my interview this morning. I was stopped by the train, then couldn't find a parking spot, then had to walk across campus in the heat to get to the office. I called to alert them I may be a little late, I feel bad when I am not early for things and apologized numerous times to Lt. Cl. Shaver who was interviewing me. I believe that tardiness is unacceptable and for this there was no excuse. We sat down for my interview, for which I was only a few minutes late, and began to talk. He was a nice man and asked me to tell him about myself. I told him about where I came from and that I was going to school up here. And that statement totally changed his mood. He asked me if I was taking campus classes, and I told him yes. And then I asked if he would work with me on the hours required for the job.... and he immediately said no. So, just that quick the interview was over. Let me make something clear for everyone, each application I have put in, I have attached my resume. On the top of my resume, in the objective area it CLEARLY states that I am a graduate student looking for employment during the completion of my graduate degree. Hello people, if you ask for these things why don't you read them?


Needless to say, God had made the decision before I even got there. This job was not meant to be. My interview with Mr. Dichiara was so comfortable and it seemed like a great place to work. I left with a feeling that the office was like a family, much like the Math Department at Troy. Today wasn't an easy path to get to my interview and the man didn't even want to hear me out after he found out I was a graduate student. I drove straight to Building Maintenance and told Mr. Dichiara that I would love to accept the position if the job offer was still available to me. And he said, of course it was. He continued to tell me that I was his number one choice for the job and that he was more than willing to work with me around my classes. I am their Office Associate, and building maintenance is practically a construction company for the University. It feels like family in the office and I am excited to work there.

I must dedicate this job however, to Mrs. Porter and Mrs. Lillis of the Troy University Math Department. Mr. Dichiara is from Troy, and Mrs. Porter was his math tutor. When finding out that I worked for them, he seemed interested to call and talk to them. When he called me on Friday, he said that he had, and that they missed me greatly over there. I honestly believe that my experience over there, and my drive to do the best at what I do is what got me the job. I loved working with Mrs. Lillis and Mrs. Porter and can't thank them enough for all they have done for me. All I did was do my job to the best of my ability, and they noticed and thank me for it every time I see them. I am thankful to be able to work in another family environment such as the one at Troy Math.

Yippee!! My first full time job! I will be working 40 hours a week and taking my 9 hours of masters classes. They are going to work around my schedule and I am very excited! I was definitely over involved during my undergrad years, with school, band, SAI, and three jobs.... so I believe that this transition to one job and just classes will be a welcome and accustomed change.

My search has ended, God has blessed and as always provided... and I couldn't be happier!!

1 comment:

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!