Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Beef noodles

Hunter's dad makes wonderful Taiwanese beef noodles.

The week I stayed when them for his graduation was the first time I had ever been with a family so immersed in the culture of Taiwan. After serving more than 20 years in Taiwan, that is where their heart lies.

Beef Noodles are spicy and heart warming. The perfect comfort food, and I understand why Hunter likes them so much.

The second time I stayed with his family his father cooked them again. It is Hunter's favorite, so they try to make it every time he comes home. This is when Hunter's family taught me to use chop sticks to eat my beef noodles. It was HILARIOUS! It took me twice as long to eat mine as it did for them, but I was not going to be the only one at the table using a fork and spoon!

The soup is a labor of love...filled with spices, beef and specialty items. It cooks all day, and the house smells delightful as the fragrance fills the air.

So... the other day, I tried to make a cheap knock off. While it was good.. it was nothing like the real thing.

Ingredients:
Noodles (I used fettuccine)
Beef broth (or bullion and water)
Crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste.

I first made my broth and brought it to a boil, then I added the spices. The soup is meant to be spicy... SUPER spicy.

I then cooked my noodles, and once cooked added them to the simmering broth.

Ta-da. Super simple, and quite tasty... but like I said, not as good as the real thing. But this would be a great soup for a cold winter night when you have a cold. :)

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!