Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Instrument Lamp

Ever since I was 15, I loved venturing to the Jones' house and looking around at all the wonders. Many trinkets, most instrument themed captured my eyes from the start. There was one thing in particular I was quite fond of. A lamp, but not just any lamp. A lamp made out of a flute and a symbol.

For years I told myself that when I stopped playing my flute, I would get Mr. Charlie to make me a lamp, out of my flute that I grew up playing.

Recently, I began playing weekly for my church. (read about that here) Just randomly, after a little over a year of not being able to visit the Jones' the though crossed my mind... Man, I guess I will have to find another flute to make a lamp out of. It was just a faint memory, a distant wish... a thought soon to be forgotten.

Only, Mr. Charlie had not forgotten. About two weeks ago I received an email to meet the Jones' at the usual tailgate spot after the homecoming game. The only stipulation, Donna and I had to come together. I didn't think much of it, but was excited to see old friends once again. Little did I know what was in store.

As we walked up to the tailgate we were greeted by familiar friends and happy smiles. Mr. Charlie was busy talking, and asked us to go ahead and go into the tent. As we visited and chatted, Mrs. Tamara then called Donna and I back to the front of the tent... and there was Mr. Charlie, beaming holding two lamps... one for me, one for Donna! One a clarinet, one a flute. I was, and still am, overwhelmed with joy. A small word, a gesture indicating something I liked was remembered EIGHT years later and graciously carried out. I love this family, and this lamp means the world to me.

Wow, what a gift.I will never be able to explain how grateful I am for the influence of the Jones' family in my life. What a blessing....






1 comment:

  1. Oh that's great! Such a sweet gift! I'm trying to find something like this to do with the CLOSET FULL of instruments we have that RJ doesn't use anymore! I think we have over 200 drum sticks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!