Thursday, June 17, 2010

My New Home

Tuesday was filled with a lot of driving and a lot of looking... Things are so expensive in Tuscaloosa.. However, I see this year of graduate school as a transitional year between childhood and adulthood. A lot of people only think of age as a factor in who they consider an adult. When most people turn 18 people tell them, now you are legally an adult. However, I feel adulthood has more to do with maturity, respect and responsibility. No certain event in your life can make you an adult. I have friends that are married and are still children themselves!

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think that an adult is a ho-hum, never have fun, kind of person. I just think it takes a different mindset and knowledge to be an adult.

When I graduated college and began the quest for a job or graduate school I began to really feel like an adult. Being financially sound is something that is very important to me, as well as many other people I am sure. I feel part of what makes you grow into adulthood is responsibility. Some of those responsibilities include money management. I have been fortunate to have been able to live on my own for the past four years. I feel that I have learned and gained much from working three jobs at a time and taking care of all of my bills. There have definitely been some rough times, but I feel that those make you appreciate the good times. I am not saying I have ever had it all together... but I do feel that I have learned a lot from paying for my trailer, my electricity and internet. I have also paid my car insurance... the only thing I haven't had to pay for is my health insurance... the only thing my parents kept paying throughout college.

Now, before you start bashing my parents, they were more than willing to pay for anything we (Donna and I) needed during college, and if I had ever needed help financially they would have gladly given money. But I say this to say that I never had to ask for money, and for that I am kind of proud.

But I guess I should get back to the point. When I got accepted to graduate school my search for a teaching job in the area ended. I had already applied for many jobs, but I made the decision that if the opportunity for graduate school presented itself I would take it. So a week after graduation, I received my acceptance letter!

I feel that my decision to continue in school is a decision to continue childhood for another year. People in college think they are adults, but until we experience the real world of jobs and other responsibilities, we won't really know.

With all that being said... this situation has greatly influenced my living situation.. and that is why the above rant was relevant to today's post. ;) There is a method to my madness. I have chosen to live with roommates in a lovely apartment community, called Boardwalk, about two miles outside of campus. It is a four bedroom, four bath apartment and I individually lease my bedroom and bathroom. (Much like Troy Place and University Corners if you are familiar with Troy). I will be placed with other graduate females and I am excited for the opportunity to make new friends. I am very lucky to have this extended stay in childhood... but I am very eager to finish and begin adulthood.


One day I dream of a great job with a place of my own... soon and very soon that will come. I am excited for what this year has in store and now that I have a place to live I am on the quest for a great job! I am praying for patience as this journey continues. For God's guidance as I seek out a church to become involved in and his comfort and blessings throughout this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!