Thursday, June 30, 2011

Unforgettable Weekend

What a weekend... I know, it is almost time for another one.. and I am still on last weekend. Last weekend I truly had a blast with a great friend.

Friday I took off work to drive to Hattiesburg, MS to see my friend Lauren. I haven't seen her since my sophomore year in college... when she moved to Oklahoma. But that didn't matter. Lauren was deployed, yesterday, at 14:00. She called me yesterday morning to say good bye before she left for Afghanistan. She will be gone 9 months, if their deployment doesn't get extended. Troops are leaving out of Camp Shelby almost every day... please keep them in your prayers.

So Friday I arrived in Hattiesburg at 11am. I waiting in the lobby of the hotel where Lauren was staying. She came running up to me and without a word we embraced in a hug that lasted forever. We finally stepped back to look at each other and say hello, and then embraced again. It was heartwarming just to see her. To see how good she looked, how happy she was...

I met a friend of hers and we then left to visit Camp Shelby. Lauren gave me a little tour and showed us her 'apartment' in the barracks. We then did something I couldn't believe, and will never forget! Patterson, her friend, had found this place in Pensacola, FL where we could race go carts.Yes, you heard right... Florida! haha I have driven 3 hours to Mississippi, and now we were about to get in a car and drive 4 more hours to Florida! HAHA!

We had a great time racing go carts, and ate a wonderful dinner at Outback. Patterson had never been to Florida... being from Oklahoma I could understand why. And it was a great last hurrah before leaving for Afghanistan. After riding go carts Lauren gave me a bracelet of hers, and asked me to wear it. I told her I would, and that it meant she had to come back and get it from me when she returned. And she said she would. I love my friend, and I pray for her safety... I hope you will pray for all the troops of America. They deserve our support, so that their service for us is not in vain.



GOD bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!