Friday, October 7, 2011

Computer Science, Anyone? (Tutorial)

Recently I have been admiring all the beautiful organization schemes of other bloggers. And with my blog being a hodge podge of many random subjects I wanted a way to organize and categorize everything.

Problem is, I am short on the programming brain cells. Yep, you got that right. I am a math person, and math and computer science while going hand in hand work well together, but you rarely find someone proficient in both. So... Computer Science skills 1, Keri - 0.

I wanted to find an easy way to do this without programming and html, so I explored some of the gadgets already provided by blogger. There is a labels gadget and a pages gadget which can be very useful! I added both to my page, so I could see how they worked... played around with each, and below is what I came up with. I wanted my posts categorized by the labels I already placed on them, in addition to a home page and an About me page.



So here goes, a mini tutorial for others who would like to do the same!


Step 1: One the layout page, add the pages gadget to the top, (or side) of your page by clicking add gadget, selecting pages and placing it on your page.


NOTE: As you can see, I am using the new blogger UI (user interface) so yours may look a little different if you aren't using the new UI.

Step 2: Once you have added the gadget, go and edit your pages. In the new interface, click the drop down box and select pages:



Step 3: Create a new page. First, I created an about me page. Choose new blank page from the drop down menu and type what you would like to be on the page, almost like a regular post. Save that.. and make anything your heart desires!



Step 4: Now I want my posts categorized by label into pages... so I picked some categories by browsing through my labels. This is when exploring the label gadget came in handy. I noticed for it to link posts by label it used the following URL:

http://myjourney-keri.blogspot.com/search/label/*****

Here, ***** is the label that I chose.

So this URL for you would be: http://"yourblogname".blogspot.com/search/label/"labelthatyouwant"

Once you have chosen what labels you want to use... now you can make your pages!

Step 5: Click the New page drop down and then click the web address option. The following window will pop up:



Here I typed what I wanted the name of my Page to be and inserted the search URL that I created from my labels. Again, add as many as your like on whatever you like. You can order your pages however you want, and then ta-da! You are done! Save your work and go look at your awesome new blog pages! ;)



Ahh! The finished product as underlined in red!

I am so excited to have my blog categorized now! Yes, I definitely love organization WAY TOO MUCH! But hey, that is just part of being me!

If you didn't already know how to do this, I hope this tutorial was helpful! If you did already know, thanks for reading! ;)

When I first saw my finished product I told my friend Mary-Anne, "maybe being in a group with the CS guys is making me smarter?!" HAHA! Too funny!

Hope you all enjoy and have a great weekend filled with blessings from the Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!