Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Forgiveness and Feelings

Here is a quote from my "Girlfriends in God" devotional today.

"Forgiving the debt is a deliberate choice that is made by an act of your will. You may not feel forgiving. It doesn’t matter. Just do it and many times the feelings will follow that choice – other times they won’t. Feelings are irrelevant but obedience is crucial. Do not base the validity of what you are doing on how you feel. Make the choice to forgive and then obey."

When I began this journey I had a particular heartache that pained my every day life. Significant dreams in my life had fallen apart. But, as cheesy as the quote sounds 'Good things fall apart so that better things can come together' really rings true in my life.

It was in this time in my life when I didn't feel like being happy, I didn't feel like I could trust. I knew the words of the Lord in my heart, but I couldn't feel them. I was completely numb.


Praise the Lord that our faith isn't about feelings!! I once spoke with my college group and told them, PRAY what your heart knows, without doubt. The feeling will come later. How true that is. So many times I prayed, I repeated verses and I dove into my Lord arms. I didn't always feel the healing that was happening. But I trust and knew with my whole heart that God knew what was best for me, and that I would come out of this stronger!

Praise the Lord we don't have to rely on FEELINGS!

1 comment:

  1. There was a season in my life when I thought all was lost because a relationship had not resulted in romance. Anger, disappointment, and desperation. But it's true - good often disappears to accommodate better.

    ReplyDelete

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!