Monday, May 2, 2011

The Tornado That Changed Us All

There literally are no words. Pictures do no describe the devastation in Tuscaloosa. The heart of Tuscaloosa, flattened.. communities rendered unrecognizable. People from my church who have lived here for years, have driven down streets and not been able to recognize where they were.

Wednesday, April 27 will be a day that many of us will never forget. Working and going to class... I remember checking the weather multiple times that day. Houses had just finished patching roofs from the storms the week before. We didn't know how bad it would get; we were bracing for severe thunder storms with a possibility of tornadoes. I went to my 3 o'clock class, knowing bad weather was on its way. When the sirens went off in class my heart dropped. Much to my dismay, my teacher didn't understand what the siren meant and it took us a while before we frantically moved downstairs. As we were standing downstairs I was using the wifi to check facebook and news pages. I saw a picture someone posted of the tornado just as the power went out. The weather alert then went off for us to take cover. Me and a few girls from my class ran from the hallway into the bathroom, we figured it would be a little safer than the open hallway. It was pitch black and we could hear the winds, the doors to Gordan Palmer opening and slamming uncontrollably. It was utter chaos. The warnings had been extended.. after it was over we all came outside phones were going crazy and it was so hard to get in touch with anyone. It was then that we were told to go and get somewhere safe. Everyone was coming out of all buildings on campus and I drove a friend to her car across campus. Then I started trying to get to my apartment. The first road I tried was completely blocked... traffic was crazy and there was mass confusion. I talked to my sister on the phone and she let me know that entire areas had been wiped out. Little did I know the tornado went across every available path for me to get home, completely cutting me off. I tried a least eight streets trying to remain calm and work my way home... as I was traveling down Greensboro we were told again to turn around that you couldn't get through. As I was turning around I say a man and woman carrying a computer server up the street. They asked if they could have a ride to their car, which was parked up the street and I agreed. I told them where I lived and asked about getting to my apartment...they, as well as others around me told me it was impossible. The cops began yelling at us telling us more tornadoes were coming and to get to a safe place and off the streets. It was then that this family became my new friends. I did the unthinkable. My first thought was 'Do not talk to strangers!' However, this lady looked at me and said, we have a basement, you need to come with us. In what was probably the craziest moment of my life I agreed. There was no way to get home, and I had no way of contacting anyone else... my phone was dying. So, in the midst of chaos, I took this family to their car and the lady rode with me to their house. I went home with STRANGERS!! (and lived to tell about it!) It was so crazy, my phone lived long enough for me to tell my mom I had picked people up off the side of the street and was going home with them; how heart wrenching is that?!

Upon arriving at their home I met their children and another family. We began our camp out, getting out the radio and checking the weather. Their power was soon restored and we watched the weather pass us by. Unsure of how to contact anyone or what to do about work I asked the lady if I could borrow her phone to contact my family. Thankfully this was a Christian family who seemed grounded in their faith. I told my mom I was staying with 'Jesus people' however, that didn't make her feel any better; she wanted me out of there! I prepared myself to go in to work the next day and the family offered me a room in their house, let me take a shower and use some clothes for pajamas. They were truly angels sent by God.

I woke up the next morning at 4:30am, unsure of really what to do or if I would be able to go anywhere. I decided then that I would go home first, start my phone charging and then contact work. I drove through Northport and completely around Tuscaloosa, and then backtracked home. I was finally able to make it, and I couldn't believe my eyes along the way. Twisted metal, cars, homes... devastation everywhere. When I arrived at my apartment I was so thankful to be home!! My apartment was relatively untouched. I woke Gabby to let her know I was finally home... after leaving my house at 5:30am Wednesday, I was finally able to return at 6am Thursday. As my phone charged I got online and posted to facebook that I was safe.. and then called my Mom. She was so happy that I was home. I called work and made sure I didn't have to go in.. so I settled down and tried to calm down. I checked my facebook and saw that Hunter had driven through the night to get to Tuscaloosa. I couldn't believe it. He drove from Arkansas, to check on me. I sent him a text saying that I was ok and sorry that I had been unreachable. He and one of his friends had come and worked through the early hours of the morning to set up a shelter. He then asked to come to my apartment and see me. Seeing him was a relief. It was unspeakable to finally see someone I knew and to be able to know I was truly safe.

In the days to follow I went out with my church to help with the destruction. I have cooked, prepared and passed out meals. I have cleaned trees out of yards, and helped anyone that would let us. I am so thankful for my college group and our willingness to work. So much devastaion is all around us... I have posted many pictures on facebook, but honestly the pictures do not do it justice... Lord, help us all.

Please be in prayer for those still missing and those who have lost everything... even in this trauma those of us who are alive are truly the lucky ones. Stuff can always be replaced. It was a ghost town the first few days, with no traffic lights or power working it was very hard to get around. We have power crews from all over the country and National Guard units from all over as well. I am so thankful for all those who have come to Tuscaloosa to help us. Praise the Lord for the goodness of people and the outpouring of support. This recovery will take a long time.. but through it all may God receive the glory for what he has done and the blessings he has given us! 

3 comments:

  1. Tears stream down my face as I read this, Keri. Though miles apart and not BFFs as we used to be, you were the first thought that crossed my mind when i heard the news. I was worried and scared for you. Praise the Lord that you are ok! Thank you God for sending angels to take care of Keri.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. I'm so glad that I'll get to see you on Friday. I'm ready for our coffee date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have cried my eyes out while reading this.....i can't believe you had to go through this and it breaks my heart. :(

    ReplyDelete

Stop and stay awhile, I appreciate your comments!